Both of these methods are popular choices for replacing lost teeth, but which option is best for you?
We would all like to keep our teeth for as long as we possibly can. Sometimes though, we are faced with a gap in our teeth, whether through needing an extraction, or even when a tooth gets knocked out accidentally.
The most well known tooth replacement method is, of course, dentures. There are benefits to these but some patients may experience issues with comfort and stability and consequently seek out alternatives.
At Bradley and Partners Dental and Implant Clinic, we provide two alternatives to dentures in the form of a bridge and also, as you might guess from our business name, dental implants. There are pros and cons to both of these which we will discuss below for the benefit of our Canterbury patients.
After dentures, a bridge used to be the most common way to replace any missing teeth. It is, in essence, a series of false teeth that are held in place, often using dental crowns. It is a tried and tested method and works well for many people. As with most treatments though, there are benefits and downsides.
- Bridges typically offer a more secure option than dentures for replacing missing teeth.
- Patients will be able to chew a wider range of foods more easily.
- Whilst often being more expensive than dentures, they are a cheaper option than dental implants.
- A bridge can only be used for individual spaces or where consecutive teeth are missing.
- They can’t be used for the very rear teeth, as there are no teeth behind them for the crowns to be attached to.
- They can be a little fiddly to keep clean as it is necessary to clean under the bridge as well as around the replacement teeth.
- To fit the crown means preparing, by reshaping, what are likely to be healthy teeth on either side of the gap.
Some of these pros and cons will be more important than others to different people and we are always pleased to offer unbiased advice to our patients so that they can make an informed decision as to whether this is the best option for them.